The site MrBlog.nl is my personal entry point to what I do on the web. It is mostly for myself to experiment with things while pretending to be a blog. A list of places where I can be found; this changes quite a bit, so this place tries to be up to date with the current set:
- picture stream
- keybase identity
About this site
I try to keep the main blog stream usable, but everything else on the site may be in limbo at any time. The site is used as an ongoing project to learn to use new languages and tools.
It started out as a moveable type site in 2003, when I was developing Xaraya I ate my own dogfood and used that. I had a tangent of using Wordpress (2 different branches of it, actually) for a dedicated Cobra build log and have since merged those posts into here as well.
The org-mode era started around that time when I used
org2blog after moving from OSX to Linux. Almost within a month I dropped wordpress and replaced it with Jekyll. As I’ve never like ruby as a language I changed that to Hakyll which is a Haskell powered static blog engine.
This is where we are now and I still feel the need to change it again (I’m considering Hugo)
To build the site I have borrowed a number of tools and resources from others. I try to keep a complete list of them complete with links back to them:
- blog system is hakyll;
- theme is a built with bootstrap components;
- all files are edited with the Emacs editor;
- Comment system: staticman; for now using the public instance of staticman, to be self hosted in the futere. Staticman pushes user data to a github repository after which hakyll can regenerate the site.
- I use git to publish the blog to my server and to a repository on github;
- Content is mostly written in orgmode or markdown;
- Some of the images are hosted on flickr, and some of them are on my own mediagoblin instance;
- the Entypo icons are used;
- Orgmode files are converted using pandoc which is integrated into hakyll;
- A locally generated json file is used to implement search; functionality.
- Bootstrap is dependent on the jquery library, but I use it directly too for the live statusnet feed and the search function;
- the site is served with nginx on a machine running Parabola GNU/Linux which is a derivative of Arch Linux with all non-free components removed;
- for the git log listing (see below), I adapted the gitactivity tag plugin by Alexandre Girard.
If you feel that credit for one of your programs should be in this list, let me know.
I keep an issue list for this site on a separate page.